Wiregrass Tsiis Biscuits
Wiregrass is in honor of the unique region of Alabama we call home and ‘Tsiis’ is pronounced ‘Cheese’ in our native language Frisian. Our award-winning farmstead cheese, flavored with a traditional Dutch blend of chives, parsley, onion, and garlic, is the perfect compliment to these buttery biscuits.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 5 tbsp butter
- 5 oz Wiregrass Tsiis
- 8 oz milk, buttermilk, or whey
- You will need Working Cows Dairy grass fed organic butter, whole milk, and Wiregrass Tsiis. Start by shredding about 5 oz. of cheese.
- Measure all dry ingredients in a chilled bowl. Cut the butter into the dry ingredients until only coarse crumbs remain.
- Add the milk all at once and gently combine by 'patting' with a rubber spatula or floured hands. Then add shredded wiregrass cheese. Do not overmix!
- Turn dough onto a floured surface and pat or roll into a 3/4" thick disk.
- Using a 2.5" biscuit cutter, start at the edge and work around to maximize the number of first-pat biscuits. Pat the remaining dough scraps one more time and cut a few more biscuits.
- Bake on a sheet tray or cast iron skillet at 400F for about 15-20 minutes, or until golden.
- Enjoy with butter, fried chicken, or as a side dish with any meal!